- Snow depth is closely related to maximum temperatures.
- The temperature of the region has gone up by 1.4 degrees since the 1950s.
- Ski season is expected to decrease in length by 15-99%.
- Ski season will be cut significantly shorter, between 21 and 114 days by 2050.
- 2 million people visit Victorian alpine resorts each year, contributing $945 million and 9,100 jobs to the economy,this economy will be threatened by temperature rises.
- Snow making costs will increase for ski resorts.
What can be done?
- Email your local MP and tell them that action on climate is important to you and explain the impacts being felt in your area. One email might not feel like much but most politicians consider it to be representative of 100 citizens.
- Get involved with local groups taking action on climate, in this community look out for …..
- Help support the Act on Climate collective by donating; we are leading the charge for climate action. Your donation helps in advancing policies that prevent climate change from getting worse, we aim to empower communities and build a strong pro-climate-action constituency that governments can’t ignore, and as an added bonus it’s tax-deductable.
- Get involved with Act on Climate. We meet every Monday at 6pm (upstairs at 312 Smith St, Collingwood) and welcome all newcomers to join in the fight for climate justice. If you are unable to attend, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to keep up with the latest campaign.
* We aim to keep our material as accurate and as relevant as possible. Working with climate science, a field that is being constantly updated, keeps us on our toes. Information on this site was gathered on June 1 2019; if you notice information that needs updating please let us know. For the full reference list please see the following.